Join the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1938914146203580/
Join us on Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 6:30pm to hear Professor Rabab Abdulhadi and her legal team, who will speak about the recent attacks against her at San Francisco State University. Don Tamaki will address the context for how current legal attacks intersect with the historic Korematsu case that upheld Japanese American internment. Help us strengthen community responses to the culture of fear and repression. This is a critical moment to stop repeating history and forge alliances for the continued struggle ahead.
Buena Vista United Methodist Church
2311 Buena Vista, Alameda
Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 6:30pm
**There is also a rally on Wednesday, August 8 at 1pm to support Professor Abdulhadi against a frivolous lawsuit attempting to silence activism on Palestine: Rally to Support Academic Freedom & Professor Rabab Abdulhadi, https://www.facebook.com/events/248247629297399/**
The WWII mass incarceration of Japanese Americans was rationalized by framing them as “enemy aliens.” McCarthyism went on to further criminalize “the enemy” by smearing the left, destroying the militant labor movement and depriving progressive academics and artists of their livelihood. It pitted colleagues and neighbors against one another, making them afraid lest they too would become targeted.
Today, attacks on asylum seekers and refugees and crackdowns on scholars, educators, and those who speak out for justice in Palestine echo this history of racist and xenophobic laws.
Reverend Michael Yoshii, Senior Pastor at Buena Vista UMC
– Dr. Rabab Abdulhadi, Associate Professor of Ethnic Studies, Race & Resistance Studies, and Senior Scholar of the Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas Initiative (AMED Studies at SFSU) at the College of Ethnic Studies, San Francisco State University.
– Don Tamaki, member of the legal teams filing an amicus brief in travel ban case and attorney for Fred Korematsu in the 1980s reopening of his Supreme Court case.
– Mark Kleiman and Behnam Gharagozli, legal council for Professor Abdulhadi.
– The International Campaign to Defend Professor Rabab Abdulhadi
– Eastwind Books of Berkeley
– Queers Undermining Israeli Terrorism (QUIT!), www.quitpalestine.org/